Media Residence Hotel for the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics
(Click an image below to see enlargement)
Modular Building Design
Hotel for the International Press
Gross Size of Project:
- Architectural Excellence
The building consists of various units (room units, side exterior wall units, roof units, stair units and hall units).
Modular room unit size is 10.8ftx23ftx10.5ft. It was designed considering mobility and sustainability.
Unit exterior was designed to minimize the decorative elements and emphasize the aesthetic of natural material's characteristic to be functional.
Lobby interior was designed as class and comfortable space with texture of steel itself and emotional design. Structure in ceiling of corridor is exposed to be architecture design element.
Performance and design were enhanced adopting the unique texture of steel; high corrosion-proof steel instead of tile for high-grade unit bath system, fabric textured color-printed steel plate for system interior wall and clear color steel plate for the fire door. It's free from nailing and taping scratch as notes or the photo frame can be posted on the wall with magnet.
- Technical Innovation & Sustainability
Factory manufacturing rate can be increased dramatically since we adopted wire-tension system for assemblying units and on-site works for bolting units were terminated.
- Exterior wall of modular unit was manufactured in the factory as well which was usually on-site work part. Modular unit can be water-proof inself with exterior wall and rainwater-proof work for the transportation and the installation was terminated.
- UBR POD system including whole bathroom system from framing to plumbing/wiring was prefabricated in the UBR factory and installed in the main factory.
- Vertical pipes in the space for pipe and duct which was usually worked on-site was prefabricated in the factory as well.
- Electricity wiring system in the ceiling was prefabricated and save the work period and cost.
- Cost Effectiveness
- HSA500 steel material was adopted to decrease the thickness and the quantity of steel framing.
- Parts of the Unit were prefabricated to decrease work period and boost ease of installation.
: UBR POD system including mechanical and electricity system was prefabricated and installed to the room unit.
: Pipe and duct space was designed considering the lightweightness and the ease of maintenance.
: Fireproof performance and ease of installation were secured by adopting of exterior wall metal panel
- Interior system wall with steel was adopted considering transportation damage and decrease the cost for reparing defects.
Furthermore a vacancy frequency due to reparing the defects can be reduced dramatically and operational profit can be improved